Next Training Date: Apr 17, 2023 - Jun 25, 2023
Learn the necessary skills, background and legal knowledge to work with confidence with the Gladue Report process and as a Gladue Report Writer in the Canadian criminal justice system with IPS certification training offered in partnership with Dr. Jane Dickson, Professor, Department of Law and Legal Studies at Carleton University, and Royal Roads University.
Indigenous Perspectives Society: Centre of Excellence in Community Education (IPS) offers Gladue Writer Training through a collaborative partnership with Dr. Jane Dickson, Associate Law and Legal Studies Professor at Carleton University. Over ten weeks of learning, participants develop an understanding of the importance of story-telling as healing, the role of historic trauma, historic trauma responses, and intergenerational effects in the over-representation of Indigenous people in the criminal justice system.
Gladue Writers Certificate Training FAQ
Virtual Classroom Session Schedule – April 2023
Gladue Writer Training Teaches Participants
- The law pertaining to Gladue rights
- The structure and function of Canadian criminal courts, including trial and sentencing processes
- The required content of Gladue reports including proper composition, structure, referencing and presentation of reports
- How to construct good recommendations for the court; and prepare for examination of the report and the writer for court
Study is a combination of:
- 7.5 hours of live, bi-weekly virtual classroom sessions with 2 different date and time options
- 12 hours of curriculum review that includes recorded online lectures, readings, and videos
- 5 bi-weekly graded assignments
CERTIFICATION INCLUDES 5-10 HOURS GLADUE SKILLS ASSESSMENT
- Completion of a mock Gladue report to an appropriate standard
- Support, direction and oversight through three Gladue reports within one year of training completion
*Participants should allow time for reading and for completion of assignments.
For more information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
“If we ever had even a micro-second of doubt that Gladue must be pushed in BC, that was wasted time. BC needs effective Gladue writers and reports more now than ever.”
Dr. Jane Dickson
Indigenous Perspectives Society delivers training throughout British Columbia and across Canada. This training is provided to the public and is also offered privately, to interested groups of 10 or more participants. Public trainings are as advertised on the website and can be registered for online at any time. Please visit our Registration Page for more information.
If you are interested in a privately contracted delivery of any of our trainings, please contact email@example.com to inquire about our availability to deliver your desired training, your timeline as to when you would like the training and with any specific customization requests. IPS requires at least one month after contract signing for course preparation.
*Payments to IPS can be made by cheque, EFT, money order or by credit card online via PayPal. Tuition receipts are available on request. Please review our Refund Policy.