Learn the necessary skills, background and legal knowledge to work with confidence with the Gladue Report process and as a Gladue Report Writer in the Canadian criminal justice system.
Indigenous Perspectives Society: Centre of Excellence in Community Education (IPS) offers this training through a collaborative partnership with Dr. Jane Dickson, Associate Law and Legal Studies Professor at Carleton University.
Over twelve hours of learning, participants develop an understanding of the importance of story-telling as healing, the role of historic trauma, historic trauma responses, and intergenerational effects in the over-representation of Indigenous people in the criminal justice system.
Each module includes self-guided online learning supplemented by required and recommended readings, and exercises designed to assess competency in the knowledge and skills provided in each module.
Gladue for Probation Officers Teaches Participants
- Foundational knowledge and skillset necessary to effectively research and communicate Gladue information in presentence reports
- The history of colonization and its impacts on Indigenous peoples
- The concepts of historical trauma, historical trauma responses and intergenerational effects
- To understanding and manage the impacts of historical trauma and intergenerational effects on working and communicating with Indigenous clients
- Trauma informed approaches to life history interviewing
- The expectations of the courts with regard to the form, content and substance of the Gladue information included in presentence reports
- The legal foundations of the Gladue requirements
- Understanding and managing the tension between standardized, actuarial risk assessments and the respectful communication of Indigenous life histories in presentence reports
Indigenous Perspectives Society delivers training throughout British Columbia and across Canada. This training is provided to the public and is also offered privately, to interested groups of 10 or more participants. Public trainings are as advertised on the website and can be registered for online at any time. Please visit our Registration Page for more information.
If you are interested in a privately contracted delivery of any of our trainings, please contact Nicole Geary: Nicoleg@ipsociety.ca to inquire about our availability to deliver your desired training, your timeline as to when you would like the training and with any specific customization requests. IPS requires at least one month after contract signing for course preparation.
*Payments to IPS can be made by cheque, EFT, money order or by credit card online via PayPal. Tuition receipts are available on request. Please review our Refund Policy.