Next Training Date: Jan 26, 2023
Length: 7 hours in live virtual learning space / 8 hours self-guided learning online (to be completed over 4 weeks)
Time: 9:00am - 4:00pm PT
Cost: $250.00 per person (for training sessions at IPS with a minimum of 10 participants) *Tuition receipts are available on request.
Contact us to request a quote and arrange training for your team.
Indigenous Perspectives Society: Centre of Excellence in Community Education (IPS) offers Cultural Perspectives Training (CPT) to help governments, organizations, businesses and individuals deepen their understanding, increase cultural competence and develop actionable ideas to respond to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada’s Calls to Action and the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People. IPS has a Corporate Supply Arrangement (CSA) for Learning and Development Services with the Province of British Columbia (CS-000917). All Cultural Perspectives Training offerings are included in the IPS CSA to help support the learning needs of those employed in the B.C. public service.
To accommodate the diverse learning needs of adults and professionals, Cultural Perspectives Training is offered through a blended learning model that balances in-class sharing, learning and collaboration with self-guided online resources, research and off-site action-taking.
Cultural Perspectives Training outcomes:
In Class (virtual or in-person)
- The legacy of colonization including inter-generational trauma, privilege and racism, and what it means to an individual or organization wanting build successful relationships with Indigenous people and communities
- Key concepts of colonization, privilege and stereotyping
Learning is widely applicable to many areas in our professional and personal lives while encouraging meaningful relationship-building strategies with Indigenous community members and organizations.
- Review and support learning outcomes from in-class training
- Metis Identity and Inclusion
- Colonization and Child welfare today
- ‘Nation to Nation’: an interactive timeline
- The state of Reconciliation and related assignment
- Living and Working on these lands – resources and related assignment
- Decolonizing our workplace
Upon completion, participants can and will:
- Develop a clear understanding of Residential School history
- Understand the continued impacts of colonization when working with Indigenous children, youth, and families
- Understand the inter-generational impacts from the loss of traditional culture experienced by Indigenous peoples
- Identify social location, decolonization, and the role of the Indigenous ally
- Engaging in ongoing reflection on how privilege and stereotypes impact work and relationships
- Increasing cultural competence by applying anti-oppressive ideologies and methods into work and daily life
- Identifying examples where decision-making opportunities in the workplace can be affected by assumptions and bias
- Defining cultural intelligence, identify what culturally intelligent practices look like, and how they can be introduced to the work place
- Increased ability for strengthening collaborative working relationships with Indigenous peoples and communities
Indigenous Perspectives Society delivers training throughout British Columbia and across Canada. This training is provided to the public and is also offered privately, to interested groups of 10 or more participants. Public trainings are as advertised on the website and can be registered for online at any time. Please visit our Registration Page for more information.
If you are interested in a privately contracted delivery of any of our trainings, please contact Nicole Geary: Nicoleg@ipsociety.ca to inquire about our availability to deliver your desired training, your timeline as to when you would like the training and with any specific customization requests. IPS requires at least one month after contract signing for course preparation.
*Payments to IPS can be made by cheque, EFT, money order or by credit card online via PayPal. Tuition receipts are available on request. Please review our Refund Policy.