Website Vancouver Aboriginal Child and Family Services Society
Position: Social Work Assistant
Status: Regular Full-time
Department: Child Protection
Location: 2020 Yukon Street, Vancouver BC
Classification: Grid 15
Salary: $57,296.54 to $64,805.30 annually
At VACFSS, we ensure that the rights, safety, well-being and spirit of Indigenous children and families are upheld, honored and protected. We strive to eliminate oppression, discrimination and marginalization within our community. We acknowledge and honor the inherent wisdom, capacity and resourcefulness of our community in designing programs and services to care for our own children and families. Accordingly, we are dedicated to planning, developing, and implementing creative and innovative Indigenous programs and services in collaboration with members of our community and other agencies.
- Join an Agency that strives to provide services to strengthen Indigenous families culturally and spiritually!
- Receive a competitive salary $57,296.54 to $64,805.30 per year PLUS a comprehensive benefits package!
- Take on a challenging role that provides membership in the Public Service Pension Plan!
Reporting to the Team Leader, the Social Work Assistant (SWA) supports Social Workers by assisting with some of the day-to-day casework activities. The delegated Social Worker and /or Team Leader retain full decision-making responsibility. Duties include direct assistance to Social Workers, support to youth in care, interaction with children in care, youth and foster parents, supervision of access visits, transportation of clients, and administrative coordination.
The Social Worker Assistant provides direct assistance to social workers by identifying sources of information that will be of assistance in the development and implementation of case management plans and the preparation of reports. The SWA provides support to youth in care by arranging for services with provincial ministries (e.g. Ministry of Housing and Social Development; Ministry of Education), supports case manager and service providers in developing youth’s independent living plan. The SWA will interact with children in care, youth and foster parents, provide transportation assistance, coordinate administrative aspects of client case management as well as interact and maintain contact with children-in-care, foster parents and families.
- Relational Engagement
- Collaborative Planning and Decision Making
- Emotional Competency
- Cultural, Spiritual Expression
Education and Experience
- BSW or;
- BA in a related human service field; or two-year diploma in Child and Youth Care, Social Work, or Child Care with 2 years experience working with children and youth or;
- Completion of 2 years of a 4-year degree in Social Work or Child and Youth Care with 2 years of experience working with children and youth.
- A valid Class 5 Driver’s License and a reliable vehicle with business class insurance are required to perform the duties of this position.
- This position requires Union membership.
- This position is open to applicants of all genders.
- Extended health and dental
- Group life and AD&D
- Employee and Family Assistance Program
- 100% employer-paid premiums
- 3 weeks of vacation
- Public Service Pension Plan
- Access to VACFSS’ Staff Cultural Clinical Counselor, Elder
- Access to Indigenous Cultural Teachings as coordinated by the Agency
- Eligible for the VACFSS flex program after passing probation
Applicants may apply by completing the Application on the Employment Opportunities webpage www.vacfss.com or by using the following link: https://www.vacfss.com/join-us/apply-for-a-job/. We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Preference may be given to qualified Indigenous candidates as per Section 41 of the Human Rights Code.
Situated on the unceded and occupied territories of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), Sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh), and Stó:lō nations.
To apply for this job please visit www.vacfss.com.