Website Surrounded by Cedar Child & Family Services
Who We Are: Located on the traditional territories of the Lkwungen People, Surrounded by Cedar Child & Family Services’ (SCCFS) vision is to support the empowerment of the urban Indigenous community to continue the reclamation of traditional systems of caring for and protecting children so no child or youth will be placed into care. As an urban Delegated Indigenous Agency, SCCFS is committed to providing child and family services strongly rooted in Indigenous cultural values and world views while ensuring urban Indigenous children and youth grow up connected to family, community, and culture.
Surrounded by Cedar receives its delegation through the Provincial Director of Child Welfare, who gives the agency the authority to undertake administration of parts of the Child, Family and Community Service Act (CFCSA). Under its current delegation agreement, Surrounded by Cedar administers C4 services (Guardianship).
SCCFS strives to be a culturally safe employer, with a keen focus on Indigenous recruitment and retention. While working at the agency, employees will be involved in various cultural knowledge sharing opportunities, activities, and ceremonies, while being actively engaged in urban Indigenous community events.
The Opportunity: Join a team that values your contributions and allows you to grow your career while utilizing your unique skills, creativity, and passion for making a meaningful difference in the lives of urban Indigenous children, youth, and families. In the role as Guardianship & Permanency Planning Worker, you will have the opportunity to:
- Provide child welfare services strongly rooted in Indigenous cultural values and beliefs while nurturing the cultural and spiritual identities of urban Indigenous children/youth in Continuing Care
- Act as legal guardian to urban Indigenous children/youth in care whose ancestors come from Nations across Turtle Island with a focus on relational, cultural, physical, and legal permanency
- Support youth accessing the Youth Agreements (YAG) program and young adults accessing the Agreements with Young Adults (AYA) program
- Build trusting relationships with the child/youth’s circle, including family members, community members, Indigenous communities, and other organizations
What You Will Bring to the Role:
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Child & Youth Care or a related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and at least 2 years of Indigenous child welfare experience
- Current C4 delegation in British Columbia (or have been delegated in the last 2 years) is considered an asset and may be given preference
- Availability Monday to Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Willingness to travel, sometimes to remote locations, and work some evenings and weekends
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license, a safe and reliable vehicle, and a favourable driver’s abstract
- Clear criminal records check
What We Have to Offer:
- Competitive wages, comprehensive benefits and a matched RRSP contribution plan
- A healthy working environment rooted in Indigenous ways of knowing and being
- Flexible work schedules and leave opportunities that promote work/life/family balance
- Physical wellness funds to support your overall well-being
- Professional development and learning opportunities to enhance your skills
Apply Now! Visit www.surroundedbycedar.com for more information about this position, the agency and to view the full job description.
Wage (Growth Progression): $52,983.45 – $75,884.38 annually, depending on experience.
Preference will be given to qualified applicants who self-identify as First Nations, Métis, or Inuit as per Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code.
Deadline to Apply: Wednesday, October 26th at 11:59pm
Along with your resume, please submit a cover letter outlining why you are interested in this opportunity, what specific skills and experience you will bring, and how your qualifications will make you successful in this role.
Apply online, or submit your resume and cover letter by email to:
Maren Gray, Executive Assistant
We thank you for your interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to Maren@sccfs.com.