Surrounded by Cedar Child and Family Services
Delegated Aboriginal Agency
Who We Are: Located on the traditional territories of the Lkwungen People, Surrounded by Cedar Child & Family Services’ (SCCFS) vision is to support the empowerment of the urban Indigenous community to continue the reclamation of traditional systems of caring for and protecting children so no child or youth will be placed into care. As an urban Delegated Indigenous Agency, SCCFS is committed to providing child and family services strongly rooted in Indigenous cultural values and world views while ensuring urban Indigenous children and youth grow up connected to family, community, and culture.
Surrounded by Cedar receives its delegation through the Provincial Director of Child Welfare, who gives the agency the authority to undertake administration of parts of the Child, Family and Community Service Act (CFCSA). Under its current delegation agreement, Surrounded by Cedar administers C4 services (Guardianship).
SCCFS strives to be a culturally safe employer, with a keen focus on Indigenous recruitment and retention. While working at the agency, employees will be involved in various cultural knowledge sharing opportunities, activities, and ceremonies, while being actively engaged in urban Indigenous community events.
The Opportunity: Join a team that values your contributions and allows you to grow your career while utilizing your unique skills, creativity, and passion for making a meaningful difference in the lives of urban Indigenous children, youth and families. In the role as Administrative Assistant: Reception, you will have the opportunity to:
- Greet visitors who are calling and/or visiting the agency, including our children, youth, young adults, caregivers, family, community members and others and provide information about the work of SCCFS to community and our clients
- Assist young people, family members, caregivers and community members who visit the office to pick up items such as bus passes/tickets, cheques, vouchers, letters or other items
- Coordinate orders of supplies, furniture, bus tickets, and other essential items and manage bookings of company vehicles and any required maintenance
- Liaise with vendors and suppliers regarding equipment such as printers, copiers and postal machines
- Support staff with travel bookings, including accommodations and transportation
- Design and distribute the agency’s Dream Speaker newsletter on a quarterly basis
Provide a high level of office coordination and administrative support to various teams throughout the organization
- Assists with the coordination of the ‘Lifebook’ program and serves as point of contact for MCFD offices throughout B.C.
What You Will Bring to the Role:
- A passion for supporting Indigenous children, youth, families and communities
- Grade 12 education and 1-2 years’ experience in office administration, ideally within a social service setting
- Proficiency in the use of Windows based computer applications
- Knowledge of and ability to maintain electronic and physical filing systems
- Satisfactory criminal record check
Preference will be given to qualified applicants who self-identify as First Nations, Métis or Inuit as per Section 41 of the BC Human Rights Code.
Deadline to Apply: August 03, 2022 at 11:59pm.
Along with your resume, please submit a cover letter outlining why you are interested in this opportunity, what specific skills and experience you will bring, and how your qualifications will make you successful in this role.
Apply online, or submit your resume and cover letter by email to:
Alana Proia, Acting Executive Assistant
To apply for this job please visit surroundedbycedar.com.