Website https://twitter.com/GVGreenTeam Green Teams of Canada
Environmental education, stewardship and community building
Title: Greater Victoria Green Team (GVGT) Program Coordinator
Location: Greater Victoria (Work virtually from home and a variety of outdoor and indoor settings)
Term: This is a full-time position
Ideal start date is June 1, 2023. Goal end date is May 31 2024 (with a possibility of extension). Can only guarantee term until Nov 30 2023 until full funding acquired.
Compensation: $43K per annum
Deadline to apply: May 10, 2023 by 5pm Pacific Time. (If the position is not filled, we will repost and interview candidates on a rolling basis)
Details about position:
This position is open to anyone 30 years old and under (as per funding requirements).
If you are passionate about the environment and community and looking for a dynamic position with a variety of tasks and responsibilities – we are looking for you! You will co-lead the award-winning Greater Victoria Green Team (GVGT) and support the growth of the charity Green Teams of Canada!
We require experience and/or education that demonstrates you are committed to environmental community engagement.
This position will most appeal to someone with experience and/or interest in:
- Environmental community organizing
- Working collaboratively in a close-knit team
- Communication (e.g. public speaking, written, listening, non-verbal cues)
- Thinking critically and creatively
- Conducting outreach (e.g. using multiple social media outlets effectively and reaching a wider diverse demographic)
- Working with youth
- Working virtually from home a large percentage of the time and outdoors in all kinds of weather conditions
- Working mainly during daytime weekday hours, and flexible and available to work on weekends and also some evenings as needed
- Ecological restoration / stewardship
- Turning ideas into action
Primary Duties and Responsibilities of Position
- Run environmental community action projects (e.g. invasive plant removals, planting of native species and clean-ups) which include tasks like:
- Provide environmental education, training and supervision to community members
- Take quality photos & videos of community members in action
- Purchase and transport tools, gloves and refreshments
- Conduct outreach (emails, social media)
- Follow safety protocols to prevent the spread of communicable disease
- Report on impacts (e.g. write a blog, post photos, input measurables
- Improve existing GVGT activities and support the creation of new types of activities
- Maintain GVGT’s social media (Meetup, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and others)
- Strategize and support the creation of new fee-for-service and corporate partnerships to enhance and increase the number of GVGT activities
- Support fundraising activities (e.g. grant writing, funding pitches)
- Participate in GTC’s Youth Working Committee to build its Outreach Plan and provide recommendations on and support the development of org policies
- Conduct administration like timesheets, monthly expenses, creating invoices and reports for partners, entering data and ensuring accuracy
Perform other related duties as required by supervising staff
All candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements. They must be:
- Aged 30 or under;
- A Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have Canadian refugee status;
- Legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Available and willing to work weekends and occasional evenings;
- Willing to undergo a Criminal Record Check;
- Able to drive and holds a valid Driver’s License (equivalent to a Canadian BC N or higher)
- Able to lift tents, tools, tables, bags of supplies etc.
Candidates who do not meet all eligibility requirements will not be considered.
Ideally, candidates have their own computer, internet connection and phone to use in this position; however, this is not a requirement.
GTC welcomes applications from eligible candidates from all backgrounds
How to apply:
Respond to mandatory questions (<—CLICK) using the same email address you use to email your cover letter and resume from.
Please respond to the below questions in one page, followed by your resume. Save your one page response to the questions below and your resume as one pdf file named: “your first name, your last name”, by May 10, 2023 at 5pm Pacific Time via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
What interests you most about this position?
What is your experience with environmental community organizing?
Why are you the best candidate for this job?
Give an example of a time you interacted with people you did not know and what steps you took to ensure everyone was comfortable and engaged
Candidates who will move onto the interview stage will be selected and emailed starting May 11th. Please have 3 references ready to forward to us if requested. We expect interviews to take place virtually starting on May 12th, with the successful applicant starting by June 12, 2023 (ideally June 1, 2023)
We kindly ask that applications be sent by email only and that you do not phone.
Only applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Due to the high number of applications we receive, we are unable to provide feedback to unsuccessful applicants.
For more info, please visit: https://greenteamscanada.ca/about/employment/
To apply for this job please visit greenteamscanada.ca.