We are seeking a pivotal role in the leadership of our small environmental group as we embark on a new strategic plan, focused on building community power and collaboration, environmental justice and increasing the connection to the Salish Sea, all in an effort to protect these waters. We are seeking a passionate and committed individual to join us on this journey.
Position: Development Manager
Compensation: $70,000-$75,000, depending on experience
Preferred start date: as soon as possible
Location: remote (from south coast of BC) or working in either one of our offices which are located on the unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) people (known as the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver) and the territories of the Snuneymuxw people (known as downtown Nanaimo). Note that most of the staff at GSA work from their home offices throughout the Salish Sea region.
Terms: permanent, full time, with some travel, weekend and evening work required
About Georgia Strait Alliance:
GSA focuses on the health of the marine environment of the Strait of Georgia region (the northern arm of the Salish Sea). Grounded in environmental justice, Georgia Strait Alliance mobilizes and supports collective action to protect the Salish Sea region. We do this by:
● building and activating community power through relationship development and capacity building;
● fostering systems transformation by advocating for community-led initiatives;
● connecting people and place through engagement and awareness building; and,
● strengthening organizational health and equity by creating a supportive and safe working environment
Our values of collaboration, caring, courage, accountability, and interconnectedness guide us as we work toward our vision, and the spirit of ‘alliances’ that our founders nurtured is still present within GSA and in the way we work to protect this region.
As a primarily settler-led organization, we are committed to change this, to recognizing our responsibility to challenge and address harmful patterns in our work, and create a more diverse and equitable organization. We are committed to ensuring that our mission is one that is inclusive of all communities and people, and we look forward to the Development Manager joining us on this ongoing journey and bringing their unique perspective to our team.
About the position
The Development Manager works closely with the Executive Director, and will be responsible for leading the strategic development and management of GSA’s fundraising efforts. They will collaborate with the leadership team and board of directors to set and achieve revenue targets, currently $1.2 million annually. They will manage one full-time staff member, and collaborate with all members of the broader organizational team.
The responsibilities include planning and executing fundraising strategies for the organization, including specific strategies for community giving and major donor giving.
You will manage:
● our grant program, developing proposals to secure funding.
● direct mail, online and email campaigns, (i.e. raffles, silent auctions, peer to peer).
● undertake strategic research and prospecting efforts for funders, corporate sponsors and donors.
● organize successful fundraising events for major donors, and engage board support.
● with our communications team, the creation of fundraising and donor stewardship content as required.
You will succeed in this role if you;
● have a passion for fundraising,
● are comfortable with a broad range of tasks,
● are good at meeting deadlines, and working in a continually changing environment,
● enjoy building trusting, collaborative working relationships with donors and funders,
● are comfortable in the complex and changing world of philanthropy, including dialogues around power, inequity and decolonizing.
● are also committed to incorporating community centric fundraising into your approach to donor engagement.
● think strategically, aligning the goals of funders and donors with the various initiatives, programs and campaigns that GSA undertakes, which use different theories of change.
● enjoy the challenge of embedding justice and equity, creating new fundraising approaches and of identifying and engaging new funders and donors.
As the successful candidate, you will become part of the team bringing our new strategic plan, which embeds our commitment to Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, to reality over the next 3 years. This is a unique opportunity to help shape the organization with your talents and ideas, and with your creativity in areas of fundraising and leadership. There is also the potential for growth and increased responsibility.
Experience and Qualifications:
We understand that not all experience looks the same, and encourage applicants to share how their experiences relate to the following:
● success leading robust and multi-faceted, non-profit fundraising program and meeting fund-raising targets
● overseeing multiple fundraising initiatives with overlapping timelines
● strategic thinking, finding the areas of common interest between funders and donors, and social change organizations
● fundraising writing for different mediums, platforms and audiences that results in funding success
● curiosity to investigate and try new fundraising strategies, including challenging power dynamics
● comfort in building authentic relationships with donors and colleagues
● proficiency with CRM databases, using data to inform decision making
It would also be helpful if you have any of the following skills, qualifications or equivalent experiences, though they are by no means required:
● experience and comfort working with remote teams, geographically spread.
● proficiency with Salesforce CRM database
● research skills, including use of platforms such as iWave
● CFRE designation
● experience with fundraising for environmental and conservation efforts or organizations
Benefits of working with Georgia Strait Alliance:
● full time, 4 day work week (34 hours),
● hybrid work environment with a work-from-home/in-office combination that best suits you.
● flexible work schedule beyond core organizational commitments
● vacation entitlement starting at 2 weeks, increasing regularly to 5 weeks after 8 years
● 5 flexible personal days annually for physical/mental well-being, care-giving etc.
● extended health, vision and dental benefits package, with life insurance and long-term disability
● free and confidential employee and family assistance program (EFAP) with a wide range of services
● $500 professional development support per year
● two paid days off per year to volunteer in the community
● cell phone allowance
Georgia Strait Alliance is strongly committed to equity, diversity, anti-racism, and to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace (see our JEDI commitment). Like many organizations, we have recognized and are learning the ways we have benefited from and perpetuated white supremacy culture and colonialism in our sector and our organization. We are committed to and are continuing our journey of learning and unlearning, transforming into a more just, equitable and inclusive organization and bringing that lens to all of our work.
We encourage applications from Indigenous persons, members of racialized communities, women, persons with disabilities, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities to advance the mission of GSA. GSA strives to ensure that our online application system and recruitment process is accessible to everyone and accommodations are available if you need them. We can offer communications in large font and accessible colours and captions. We can also provide ways for candidates to apply other than email, such as video submissions. Please let us know if there are other accommodations that would support your application. If at any point during the application and/or recruitment process you require an accommodation, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are accepting applications on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Please submit information about yourself, your lived experience or any information that is important for this application here.
If you are selected for an interview, some of the questions will be provided ahead of time.
If you have any questions about the job posting, please contact us at email@example.com
To apply for this job please visit georgiastraitalliance.applytojobs.ca.