Website Chief Matthews School
ABOUT CHIEF MATTHEWS SCHOOL
At Chief Matthews School, we promote a healthy, safe, and fun learning environment that fosters cultural confidence; where motivated learners demonstrate respect for each other and Haida Gwaii.
We balance high expectations academically through the BC Curriculum with our Traditional Haida teachings. Our school is a K/4 to Grade 6 in Old Massett and we serve both Old Massett and neighbouring Massett communities.
As a strong group of approximately 30 staff members consisting of teachers, Education Assistants, Administration, and other support staff, we collaborate to create a thriving school community and ensure our students’ success.
We are pleased to provide:
· 30-hour per week in a workplace that is engaging, dynamic and fun
· Competitive salary based upon the experience you bring and as per Old Massett Village Council’s (OMVC) wage scale
· Enrolment in our health and dental benefits
· Eligibility to participate in our pension plan
· Professional development opportunities offered locally and with First Nations Education Steering Committee
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
This position reports to the Principal and Vice Principal oversees the smooth running and efficient operations of the school office and performs a variety of administrative duties in collaboration with the team. A central point within the school, the Administrative Assistant takes a well-organized and process-driven approach to their work while maintaining a strict level of confidentiality. This pivotal role interacts with the school community and is instrumental in ensuring a positive and professional environment.
SELECT DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Provides confidential administrative support including correspondence, keeping record, preparing reports, coordinating and attending meetings/events/fundraising/school professional development activities, scheduling travel, organizing and maintaining ministry forms and files
· Supervises and leads the Receptionist ensuring that work is effectively delegated and completed and, as needed, provides coverage for the Receptionist when away from the office
· Engages with the school community to de-escalate and respond effectively to highly sensitive situations, following safety protocols and appropriate reporting procedures, as necessary
· Completes work plans, interim reports and final reports for funding grants from FNESC, TRICORP, and other outside funding agencies under the advisement of Administration
· Monitors school and department accounts with the oversight of Administration and collaboration with Old Massett Village Council Accounts Receivable
· Answers inquiries and relays messages from parents, students, public and other staff
· Communicates with school staff on scheduling and correspondence from Administration
· Ensures the maintenance of and school office equipment and appropriate levels of supplies
· Performs minor first aid and advises parents of injury or illness
· Other duties as required to help support our vision, fulfill our mission and abide by our values
YOU WILL BRING
· Grade 12 level education or equivalent
· Certificate in Office Administration or related field an asset
· 4 years experience in a similar role with experience with bookkeeping and office procedures, leadership experience an asset
· Training in Level 1 First Aid or better, or the willingness to obtain certification
OUR DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES FOR THE ROLE INCLUDE
· Good interpersonal skills and the ability to be an integral part of a team
· Ability to maintain a high level of ethical behaviour and confidentiality when dealing with students, peers and community
· Coaching leadership approach to ensure that colleagues are supported to complete their work and grow within their role
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Haida language, an asset
· Strong organization skills, with the ability to prioritize and multitask in a demanding environment while taking a process-oriented approach
· Good problem solving and decision making
· Ability to operate typical office equipment (ex telephones, copiers, etc.)
· Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook), experience using Smartboard technology and Connected North Virtual learning platform preferred
· Ability to type 60WPM
· Sense of ownership and initiative
· Strong attention to detail, ability to develop routine reports and correspondence and support all departments with general administrative tasks
· Ability to follow instructions from others and also to work independently
· Must successfully pass a criminal record check
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
· Fast-paced office environment with regular interruptions
· Work environment is typically high-energy, loud and busy
· Regularly required to stand, walk and sit
· Frequently lift and move office supplies and equipment
HOW TO APPLY: Are you interested in bringing your skills and experience to support a dynamic learning environment? Please submit your resume with cover letter and 3 professional references to Emily Lord at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, February 23, 2024.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest in a role with Chief Matthews School. Only applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.