Monthly Archives: July 2020
To support the ongoing development of holistic and restorative approaches to criminal justice in Canada, Indigenous Perspectives Society offers Gladue Writer Training in collaboration with Dr. Jane Dickson, Associate Professor of Law and Legal Studies at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario.
“Indigenous peoples are over-represented in Canada’s criminal justice system due to socio-economic factors arising from intergenerational trauma caused by colonization, including being displaced from their lands, their resources, and the residential school system. Gladue Writer Training provides the opportunity for writers to help tell the stories of why and how people become involved with the system. Using the Gladue Report process, sentences can be improved, with courts understanding the root causes of behavior.”
– Rachelle Dallaire, Indigenous Perspectives Society Executive Director
The next Gladue Writer Training will be offered August 10-October 18, 2020. For more information and to register please click here.
The new Gladue for Probation Officers was developed specifically to support the learning and practical needs of probation officers who are actively preparing reports and working within the Canadian criminal justice system. Participants will develop an understanding of the importance of story-telling as healing, the role of historic trauma, historic trauma responses, and intergenerational effects as they relate to the over-representation of Indigenous people in the criminal justice system. Other important learning outcomes include:
- Trauma informed approaches to life history interviewing
- The expectations of the courts with regard to the form, content and substance of the Gladue information included in presentence reports
- The legal foundations of the Gladue requirements
- Understanding and managing the tension between standardized, actuarial risk assessments and the respectful communication of Indigenous life histories in presentence reports
Course is delivered completely online. The training is currently being run as a new training pilot and public registrations are now open for Monday, November 23rd, 2020. Registrations are now open. For more information.